Our compassionate volunteers are online every evening, 365 days a year, to provide confidential, empathetic and non-judgmental support to youth under 30 years of age through instant message (IM) and text message (SMS). All volunteers receive 40 hours of classroom training in reflective listening, crisis theory, and trauma-informed approaches to suicide prevention. Training includes a two-day ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) – read more about ASIST here.
For a more in-depth description of the Volunteer Role see the role description here.
We expect Volunteers to commit to:
- An extensive 40 hour in-person training program including: skill development and practice, ASIST training, and at least 10 hours of homework reading and practice
- Volunteering at least 140 online support hours over the 12-18 months following Basic Training (not including Training hours).
- One 3-4 hour shift per week until 140 hours are completed
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Residing in the Greater Victoria area as all volunteering happens at a single location (ie, you do not chat from home).
- Being at least 17 years of age on the first day of Training. If you are under 19 years of age we will also require permission from your parent or guardian
- Willingness to submit to a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector search
- A $200 Training Deposit. IF you complete the volunteer commitment of 140 hours over 12-18 months then you will receive $140 back from this deposit. We will retain $60 to help cover the materials cost of training (some flexibility may be available if the cost is a barrier).
- Aptitude in verbal and written English
- Comfort with using computers and having a typed conversation with a young person
- 1 year recovery from any major trauma or life event such as, death, divorce, addiction, mental illness
The next training sessions will be taking place in February 2020 and May 2020. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like to be added to a contact list for when our volunteer application goes live.