Our compassionate volunteers are online 365 evenings a year to provide confidential, empathetic and non-judgmental support to youth through instant message (IM) and text (SMS).
All volunteers receive 33 hours of classroom training in reflective listening, crisis theory, and trauma-informed approaches to suicide prevention. Training includes a 2 day Suicide Intervention Skills Training program.
Volunteers commit to:
- Our extensive 33 hour in-person training program, including: skill development and practice, Suicide Intervention Skills. Training, and at least 20 hours of homework reading and practice.
- 1 shift per week (3-4 hours) until 140 hours are completed.
- Volunteering at least 140 hours over the 12-18 months following Basic Training (not including Training hours).
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Living in the Victoria, BC area.
- Being 17 years of age on the first day of training. If you are under 19 years of age, we require permission from a parent or guardian.
- Aptitude in verbal and written English.
- Comfort with using computers and having a typed conversation with a young person.
- Willingness to submit to a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector search.
- A $100 Training Deposit. If you complete the commitment of 140 hours over 12-18 months, then you will receive $40 back from this deposit. We retain $60 to help cover the materials cost of training. (Some flexibility may be available if cost is a barrier).
- 1 year recovery from any major trauma or life event such as death, divorce, addiction (i.e., substances, self-harm, etc.), or serious mental illness.
- 1 year recovery from a personal suicide attempt, intense suicidal ideation, and/or the suicide death of a significant individual.
Training sessions are hosted in September, February and May.
Unfortunately, Youthspace.ca is not taking applications at this time. We will begin recruiting for the Fall training session later this summer. Please use the contact form below if you are interested in being on the waitlist to apply for that training session.
If you have any questions about future recruitment, volunteering, please do not hesitate to reach out.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks, please check your spam folder and/or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!