Our compassionate volunteers are online 365 evenings a year to provide confidential, empathetic and non-judgmental support to youth through instant message (IM) and text (SMS).
All volunteers receive 43 hours of classroom training in reflective listening, crisis theory, and trauma-informed approaches to suicide prevention. Training includes obtaining certification in ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training).
Volunteers commit to:
- Our extensive 43 hour in-person training program, including: skill development and practice, Suicide Intervention Skills Training, and at least 10 hours of homework reading and practice.
- Completion of Observation Shift(s) and Support Shift(s) within two months of finishing Basic Training.
(Some expectations may be made due to extenuating circumstances)
- 1 shift per week (3-4 hours) until 140 hours are completed.
- Volunteering at least 140 hours over the 12-18 months following Basic Training (not including Training hours).
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Living in the Victoria, BC area.
- Being 17 years of age on the first day of training. If you are under 19 years of age, we require permission from a parent or guardian.
- Aptitude in verbal and written English.
- Comfort with using computers and having a typed conversation with a young person.
- Willingness to submit to a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector search.
- A Training Deposit of $200. If you complete the commitment of 140 hours over 12-18 months, then you will receive $140 of the deposit back. We retain $60 of your deposit to help cover the cost of training and materials. (Some flexibility may be available if cost is a barrier).
- 1 year recovery from any major trauma or life event such as death, divorce, addiction (i.e., substances, self-harm, etc.), or serious mental illness.
- 1 year recovery from a personal suicide attempt, intense suicidal ideation, and/or the suicide death of a significant individual.
Training sessions are hosted inYouthspace.ca has begun recruiting for both the February and May Training Groups!
For the February Training Group: Training will mainly occur on Thursday evenings at 6pm – 9pm starting on February 24th. There will be one full-day session on February 26th, and one full weekend training starting at 9am both Saturday, March 12th and Sunday, March 13th.
For the May Training Group: Training will mainly occur on Thursday evenings at 6pm – 9pm starting on May 12th. There will be one full-day session on May 14th, and one full weekend training starting at 9am both Saturday, June 4th and Sunday, June 5th.
After you have filled out the application, you will receive a copy of the training schedule in order to affirm that you will be able to make all of the sessions.
**We have experienced higher than usual level of interest for this training group. For this reason, if you are really keen to volunteer with Youthspace.ca, please fill out the application form as soon as possible. **
If you have any questions about recruitment, volunteering, or the application, please do not hesitate to reach out. Please check your spam folder and/or email us at email@example.com if you do not hear from us within two weeks