Our compassionate volunteers are online 365 evenings a year to provide confidential, empathetic and non-judgmental support to youth through instant message (IM) and text (SMS).
All volunteers receive 43 hours of classroom training in reflective listening, crisis theory, and trauma-informed approaches to suicide prevention. Training includes obtaining certification in ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training).
Volunteers commit to:
- Our extensive 43 hour in-person training program, including: skill development and practice, Suicide Intervention Skills. Training, and at least 10 hours of homework reading and practice.
- 1 shift per week (3-4 hours) until 140 hours are completed.
- Volunteering at least 140 hours over the 12-18 months following Basic Training (not including Training hours).
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Living in the Victoria, BC area.
- Being 17 years of age on the first day of training. If you are under 19 years of age, we require permission from a parent or guardian.
- Aptitude in verbal and written English.
- Comfort with using computers and having a typed conversation with a young person.
- Willingness to submit to a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector search.
- A Training Deposit of $200. If you complete the commitment of 140 hours over 12-18 months, then you will receive $140 of the deposit back. We retain $60 of your deposit to help cover the cost of training and materials. (Some flexibility may be available if cost is a barrier).
- 1 year recovery from any major trauma or life event such as death, divorce, addiction (i.e., substances, self-harm, etc.), or serious mental illness.
- 1 year recovery from a personal suicide attempt, intense suicidal ideation, and/or the suicide death of a significant individual.
Training sessions are hosted in September, February and May.
Youthspace.ca has begun recruiting for the Fall Training Group!
Training will mainly occur on Monday evenings at 6pm – 9pm starting on September 27th. There will be one full-day session on the first weekend of October, and one full weekend training starting at 9am both Saturday, October 23rd and Sunday, October 24th.
After you have filled out the application, you will receive a copy of the training schedule in order to affirm that you will be able to make all of the sessions.
**We have experienced higher than usual level of interest for this training group. For this reason, if you are really keen to volunteer with Youthspace.ca, please fill out the application form ASAP. **
If you have any questions about recruitment, volunteering, or the application, please do not hesitate to reach out. Please check your spam folder and/or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not hear from us within two weeks