Our compassionate volunteers are online 365 evenings a year to provide confidential, empathetic and non-judgmental support to youth through instant message (IM) and text (SMS).
All volunteers receive 43 hours of classroom training in reflective listening, crisis theory, and trauma-informed approaches to suicide prevention. Training includes obtaining certification in ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training).
Volunteers commit to:
- Our extensive 43 hour in-person training program, including: skill development and practice, Suicide Intervention Skills Training, and at least 10 hours of homework reading and practice.
- Completion of Observation Shift(s) and Support Shift(s) within two months of finishing Basic Training.
(Some expectations may be made due to extenuating circumstances)
- 1 shift per week (3-4 hours) until 140 hours are completed.
- Volunteering at least 140 hours over the 12-18 months following Basic Training (not including Training hours).
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Living in the Victoria, BC area.
- Being 17 years of age on the first day of training. If you are under 19 years of age, we require permission from a parent or guardian.
- Aptitude in verbal and written English.
- Comfort with using computers and having a typed conversation with a young person.
- Willingness to submit to a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector search.
- A Training Deposit of $200. If you complete the commitment of 140 hours over 12-18 months, then you will receive $140 of the deposit back. We retain $60 of your deposit to help cover the cost of training and materials. (Some flexibility may be available if cost is a barrier).
- 1 year recovery from any major trauma or life event such as death, divorce, addiction (i.e., substances, self-harm, etc.), or serious mental illness.
- 1 year recovery from a personal suicide attempt, intense suicidal ideation, and/or the suicide death of a significant individual.
Training sessions are hosted in September, February and May.
Unfortunately, our applications are closed at this time.
If you are interested in volunteering with Youthspace.ca in the future, please fill out the contact form to be added to our waitlist. Recruiting for the February Training Group will occur around December/January.
If you have any questions about recruitment, volunteering, or the application, please do not hesitate to reach out. Please check your spam folder and/or email us at email@example.com if you do not hear from us within two weeks